Marine Products Legal Liability
Overview - Marine Products Legal Liability (MPLL) covers claims arising from marine products.
Typical Insureds - Manufacturers, importers and distributors of watercraft and their component parts.
What It Covers - The typical MPLL policy covers:
- Liability for property damage and bodily injury arising out of an actual or alleged defect in the insured's product or vessel
- Nature of the product and its market - consumer or commercial
- Is the product a component part and if so, are there any installation exposures
- What insurance or contractual protections do suppliers provide
- How long has the product been sold by the insured and others and what are the receipts history
- Claims history including recalls and discontinued products
MPLL is written on both claims made and occurrence forms. In the London market, many occurrence forms impose a "sunset clause" which specifies a date after which no further claims can be made against the policy.